Hedgehogs are very popular pets, and it’s clear why that is! Aside from their incredibly unique appearance, they’re adorable, have great personalities, and aren’t overly difficult to care for.
Although they’re quite common and there’s many different types of hedgehogs, it can be hard to find a good hedgehog breeder. Fortunately, we’ve made the process of finding a reputable breeder easier for you.
There are very few hedgehog breeders within the United States. For some states, we’re unable to find a good breeder. In this case, we’ve highlighted a reputable hedgehog shelter where you can adopt a healthy hedgehog.
In many cases this is a better option, as hedgehogs in shelters are in desperate need of a loving home. Some states don’t even have a dedicated hedgehog shelter.
If you’re a breeder/rescue and would like to get listed, please contact us!
American Hedgehog Breeders
Below we’ve highlighted some very passionate and credible hedgehog breeders. We strive to keep this directory current and accurate.
Please note that we do not know all of these breeders and cannot personally endorse them.
Boss Hogs Hedgehogs
Hedge of Alaska
- Location: Kenny Lake, AK
- Social: facebook.com/Hedge-of-Alaska-Hedgehog-Breeder-101842644619534
- Contact: [email protected] | (907) 259-5522
Sonoran Desert Hedgehogs of AZ
- Location: Maricopa, AZ
- Website: sonorandeserthedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (480) 593-7284
Hedgehogs are illegal in California
Colorful Quills Hedgehogs
Heart of Gold Hedgehogs
- Location: Denver, CO
- Website: heartofgoldhedgehogs.com
Prickly Paws Hedgehogs
- Location: Windham Center, CT
- Website: halpinehedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (860) 377-5450
Southeastern Connecticut Exotics
Curious Creatures Rescue
- Location: Wilmington, DE
- Social: facebook.com/Curious-Creatures-Rescue-460905917391180
- Contact: [email protected]
- Location: Middleburg, FL
- Website: floridahedgehogs.com
Top Notch Hedgehogs
Hedgehogs are illegal in Georgia
Hedgehogs are illegal in Hawaii
Little Hedgehog Burrow
Good Natured Hedgehogs
- Location: Caldwell, ID
- Website: goodnaturedhedgehogs.wixsite.com/idaho
- Contact: [email protected] | (208) 577-8600
Morning Star Hedgehogs
Prickle Pack Hedgehogs
CC’s Exotic Pets
Northern Indiana Hedgehogs
- Location: Elkhart, IN
- Website: northern-indiana-hedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (574) 238-5394
Iowa Family Hedgehogs
- Location: Ames, IO
- Social: facebook.com/iowafamilyhedgehogs
- Contact: (515) 337-3563
Hedgehogs & Guinea Pigs of Kansas by J & J
- Location: Abilene, KS
- Social: facebook.com/hedgehogsNGuineapigsofkansas
- Contact: [email protected] | (785) 263-2878
Top Quality Hedgehogs
- Location: Lexington, KY
- Social: facebook.com/TopQualityHedgehogs
Kelly’s Quills Hedgehogs
Achilles’ Quill Hedgehogs
- Location: Dry Prong, LA
- Website: achillesquillhedgehog.weebly.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (318) 613-3852
- Location: Stetson, ME
- Social: facebook.com/mayfarmaviary
Quill Valley Hedgehogs & Tenrecs
- Location: Myersville, MD
- Social: facebook.com/quillvalleyhedgehogsandtenrecs
- Contact: [email protected] | (240) 818-8979
Cape Cod Hedgehogs
- Location: Marstons Mills, MA
- Website: capecodhedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (774) 678-0680
Muddy Creek Farms
Pinkies Hedgehogs of Michigan
- Location: Saline, MI
- Social: facebook.com/Pinkies.Hedgehogs.Of.Michigan
- Contact: [email protected] | (734) 417-6523
Pins and Needles Hedgehogs
Sweet Quills Hedgehogs of Michigan
- Location: Twin Lake, MI
- Website: penelopepainter.wixsite.com/sweetquillshedgehogs
- Contact: [email protected] | (231) 744-9015
- Location: Hanover, MN
- Website: otsegohedgehogs.com
- Contact: (952) 261-8829
Happy Hedgehogs of Central Minnesota
- Location: Foley, MN
- Social: facebook.com/happyhedgehogsofcentralmn
Mississippi Hedge Hogs
- Location: Gulfport, MS
- Social: facebook.com/MississippiHedgeHogs
- Contact: (228) 297-5507
Susan’s Hawkeye Hedgies
- Location: Blue Springs, MO
- Social: facebook.com/Susans-Hawkeye-Hedgies-132708343441945
- Contact: [email protected] | (641) 831-3901
- Location: Kansas City, MO
- Social: facebook.com/heartlandhedgies
- Contact: (816) 803-5154
Buffalo Creek Hedgehogs
- Location: Neosho, MO
- Social: facebook.com/BuffaloCreekHedgehogs
- Contact: [email protected] | (417) 317-7267
- Location: MT
- Social: facebook.com/montanahedgehogs
The Exotics Animal Farm
- Location: Fremont, NE
- Website: handshedgehogs.com
- Contact: (402) 720-3569
Renn’s Hedgehog Heaven
- Location: Omaha, NE
- Website: melissamesenbrink.wixsite.com/rennshedgehogheaven
Sarah’s Andorian Hedgehogs
- Location: Nebraska City, NE
- Website: sarahsandorianhedgehogs.com
- Contact: (402) 480-4529
Feathers and Spikes
- Location: Las Vegas, NV
- Website: feathersandspikes.co
- Contact: (702) 472-2146
Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs
- Location: Pelham, NH
- Website: hamorhollow.com
Granite State Hedgehogs
- Location: Franklin, NH
- Website: granitestatehedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (603) 852-6015
Perkins Prickly Pals
- Location: Exeter, NH
- Website: perkinspricklypals.webs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (603) 944-1425
Hog Wild Hedgehogs
Hog Heaven Hedgehogs
- Location: Niagara Falls, NY
- Website: hogheavenhedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (716) 298-5025
- Location: Elizabeth City, NC
- Website: carolinaquillery.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (757) 639-1134
Penny’s Prickly Pigs
- Location: Washingtonville, OH
- Website: hedgehoghuckstar.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (330) 429-1348
Millermeade Farm’s Critter Connection
Hog and Lotl Breeders
- Location: Stow, OH
- Social: facebook.com/hogandlotlbreeders
- Contact: [email protected] | (234) 738-6173
Gunner’s Quills Hedgehogs
- Location: Owasso, OK
- Website: gunnersquillshedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (918) 697-5263
West Coast Hedgehogs
Rose City Hedgehogs
Hedgehogs are illegal in Pennsylvania
The Alternative Hedgehog
- Location: North Providence, RI
- Website: alternativehedgehog.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (401) 442-3827
- Location: Batesburg-Leesville, SC
- Social: facebook.com/sassyquillshedgehogs
- Contact: [email protected]
Hedgehogs of the Hills
- Location: Yankton, SD
- Website: hedgequarters.yolasite.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (605) 760-9631
April’s Hedgie Herd
- Location: Lubbock, TX
- Website: happyhogs.net
Green Mountain Quillibusters
- Location: Georgia, VT
- Website: greenmountainquillibusters.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (802) 242-0636
Prickly Potato Hedgehogs
- Location: Lyndonville, VT
- Website: pricklypotatohedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (802) 535-8361
Penny’s Prickly Pigs
Henry’s Hedgehog Haven
- Location: Newport News, VA
- Website: henryshedgehoghaven.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (757) 232-0192
Briar Patch Hedgehogs
- Location: Goldendale, WA
- Website: briarpatchhedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (509) 250-3014
Bumble Bee Hedgies
Volcano View Hedgehogs
- Location: Port Orchard, WA
- Website: volcanoviewhedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (253) 853-6231
Lilac City Hedgehogs
- Location: Spokane Valley, WA
- Website: lilaccityhedgehogs.com
- Contact: [email protected] | (509) 768-7981
Peeps N Paws
Noodle Back Hedgehogs
- Location: Janesville, WI
- Social: facebook.com/noodlebackhedgehogs
- Contact: [email protected] | (678) 497-8395
Identifying A Good Hedgehog Breeder
If you’re looking to buy a hedgehog from a breeder either because no shelters have hedgehogs or because you want a 100% genetically healthy hedgehog, you may be wondering how to tell apart the good and the bad.
Remember, you should only buy a hedgehog from a reputable breeder, not a backyard breeder.
At a quick glance, reputable and backyard breeders may look fairly similar. However, there are a few ways you can tell them apart:
- Backyard breeders won’t let you see the hedgehogs’ living conditions, while reputable breeders make conditions well-known.
- Backyard breeders sell their hedgehogs for cheap in local marketplaces, while reputable breeders operate more legitimately with websites, Facebook pages, referrals, etc.
- Backyard breeders can’t show genetic histories, while reputable breeders happily will.
- Backyard breeders don’t care where their hedgehogs are going, while reputable breeders work to make sure they’re selling their hedgehogs to a good home.
Questions To Ask A Hedgehog Breeder
We’ve come up with 9 questions that you should ask a potential breeder before purchasing a hedgehog from them.
Based off of their answers to these questions, you should be able to identify whether you’re doing business with a good or bad hedgehog breeder.
- May I see your breeding license?
- Do you have references for previous buyers?
- May I see your hedgehogs’ living conditions?
- Can you provide me with your hedgehogs’ genetic histories?
- Do you provide birth certificates with details about the parents?
- What food do you feed to the hedgehogs as hoglets and adults?
- Am I allowed to interact with the hedgehog in person first?
- Do you keep sick/nursing hedgehogs separate?
- Will you be able to answer any other questions I may have about hedgehog care?
Analyzing A Hedgehog’s Health
Another way to tell a good breeder from a bad breeder is through the physical appearance of a hedgehog and their living conditions.
Hedgehogs that come from good breeders should have all of these traits and then some:
- Clean cages, food bowls, water bowls, bedding, etc.
- Calm hedgehogs that don’t become nervous/aggressive when handled
- Healthy spines
- Clean, soft ears
- Hard, well-kept nails
- Clear eyes
How Much Does It Cost To Buy A Hedgehog?
Before you purchase a hedgehog, it’s important to note that the cost of a hedgehog isn’t just made up of a hedgehog itself. Instead, it’s made up of the hedgehog and all of its essential supplies.
While you may be able to buy a hedgehog for $100, you also need to house it, feed it, and care for it in several other ways — all things that cost you money.
Make sure that you have the financial means to keep a hedgehog. You need to avoid having to rehome your hedgehog at all costs.
For a detailed cost breakdown of hedgehog ownership, click here. We’ve broken down every possible cost so that nothing surprises you!
In short, though:
- Hedgehogs cost around $100 to $200
- All of a hedgehog’s one-time supplies cost around $200
- Yearly, a hedgehog’s recurring costs can be anywhere from $175 to $300+
Hedgehogs aren’t just pets that you can purchase and neglect — they need as much, if not more care than cats, dogs, and other popular pets.